Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If I was blind, I would see you.

Once upon a this morning... I got together with my friend Ellie and her friend Heather (who, until today had only been my facebook friend.) For the past few months, since I've been home from school, Ellie and I had been toying with the idea of starting a prayer group or a Bible study of some kind. Neither of us solidly belong to one church; we're poly-churchian at the moment, but we both have recognized our desire/desperate need for more fellowship and communion with the Lord and other believers. Having lived at church for the past two years, I feel it pressed upon me daily that my life at home doesn't nearly afford me the structure I once had. I miss having worship and devo's every morning and being saturated in prayer daily. If I were more disciplined, this would not be a problem. My lack of self-discipline is another matter (another blog, entirely). Back to the prayer group! Early in it's conception, Ellie told me that her friend Heather had expressed an interest in joining the group should it ever be fully realized. And, this morning, it was.

We met at a coffee shop, a comfortable backdrop and equi-distant redevous point for everyone- made more convenient for me being five minutes up the road- and Heather and I got to talk in person, and fell immediately in sister-love. This was the first time, since I've been back, that I've spoken with two Christians (other than my parents) at the same time, about Christian things. We didn't just take about Jesus (not that that would have been bad or unfavorable), but as Christians, and especially when we're together en masse (is three enough to be en masse?), no matter what we talk about there's always a pretty strong spiritual undercurrent. That's one of my favourite things about fellowship; even conversations about grocery shopping and menstrual cramps can turn into a very real prophecy or word of encouragement. Jesus is just so applicable to any situtation.

After we talked, listed off prayer requests, and had a few good laughs with/at each other, we prayed over our group. Even that, just a short little prayer, lifted something off me. A peace, not a full, all-consuming, three-course meal type of peace; but more like the peace you have when you take an aspirin for a headache; you know it'll take a while to work through your system, but you soon won't have a headache anymore. It's the God-is-doing-something-but-I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-doesn't-matter-that-I-don't-know-what-it-is-at-least-I-have-an-inside-line-again peace. That peace.

Even though I've let my grip loosen on the Lord, I felt today, for this first time in months, His hand on me again.

2 comments:

  1. Beauie, I wish you'd write more thoughts. I sure love reading your words... Love, Ei

    ReplyDelete